So Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years Eve may have come and gone but the classic roast, in our opinion, is eternal. Abd besides, Sundays happen every week so you have no excuse for not whipping up this recipe.
Not only is this roast simple, delicious and surprisingly quick and easy to make, it’s also lowering carbon emissions in the process.
Now as we always say here at the Citizens HQ to make an environmental change or any type of change really, it’s not about a handful of people being waste-free, vegan, environmental activists and not driving cars (mind you if you are that person then that is amazing!) but we have the approach of everyone doing small things to make a big difference.
Whether it’s convincing your parents or grandparents to use reusable bags at the grocery store, switching your morning takeaway cup to a keep cup or in this case swapping one meal a week from meat to plant-based.
Did you know that…
- Currently some 800 million people on the planet now suffer from hunger or malnutrition, yet an amount of cereal which could feed three times this number of people is fed to cattle, pigs and chickens.
- Agricultural intensification and expansion, and overfishing, are major factors in the loss of species and biodiversity – if present trends continue, over the next 100 years or so there will be a global mass extinction of species. Heavy.
- The FAO estimates that livestock production is responsible for 14.5 per cent of global greenhouse gas emissions – World scientists on the UN
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) agree that we need to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere by 80 percent by 2050 in order to avoid catastrophic climate change.
So these are some pretty scary facts if you ask us which have compelled us to start Meatfree Mondays so the first recipe on our list is this plant-based roast by Gardein. We have been loving ‘mock’ meats as a great alternative whilst we get into the plant-based meals and are still not ready to go full tofu and bean style!
View this post on Instagram
PLANT-BASED ROAST – SERVES 4
2 Sweet Potatoes
1 Bunch of Broccoli
1 Plant-Based Roast from @gardein
4 Dinner Rolls
1 Handful of Herbs
4 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1. Chop potatoes and sweet potatoes.
2. Place on a lined pan and toss with herbs, olive oil and salt.
3. Remove roast from bag (must be frozen) and add to pan.
4. Bake for 1 hour on 190 degrees.
5. Steam broccoli.
6. Add rolls to oven for the last 10 mins of baking.
7. Heat gravy in microwave for 2 mins.
8. Remove from oven and slice roast.
9. Add everything to a plate and serve. ❤️🌿✌🏽